[vbox-dev] VirtualBox Windows build instructions

Maarten Hoes hoes.maarten at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 11:53:36 GMT 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Frank Mehnert <frank.mehnert at oracle.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday 05 August 2015 13:33:12 Maarten Hoes wrote:
> > Setting
> > set VBOX_ASSERT=none
> > before starting Virtualbox.exe gives me this error on startup of
> previously
> > created VM's :
> >
> > " ...
> > Failed to open a session for the virtual machine.
> > Implementation of the USB 2.0 controller not found !
> > Because the USB 2.0 controller state is part of the saved VM state, the
> VM
> > cannot be started. To fix this problem, either install the 'Oracle VM
> > VirtualBox Extension Pack' or disable USB 2.0 support in the VM settings
> > (VERR_NOT_FOUND).
>
> this error has nothing to do with VBOX_ASSERT=none. The reason is just
> that your self-compiled package will look for the Extension Pack in
> out/win.amd64/..../ rather than in C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox.
> Therefore better either disable settings required for the Extension Pack
> or copy the content of the Extension Pack to the correct target. If needed
> I can tell you the exact paths.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Frank

Thanks.

Well I copied the 5.0.1 release files from

C:\Program
Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack

to the location of the installed debug version :

D:\VirtualBox-5.0-amd64-debug\bin\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VBoxDTrace_Extension_Pack

but I guess thats not correct, as I still get the same error.

Anyway, it works for the newly created vm now.

- Maarten