[vbox-dev] VirtualBox Windows build instructions

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Wed Aug 5 08:54:47 GMT 2015

On 05.08.2015 09:03, Frank Mehnert wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 August 2015 00:27:53 Maarten Hoes wrote:
>> Also, this :
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 12:18 AM, Huihong Luo <huisinro at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I ended up modifying a lot of places on .kmk files, and even vs 2010
>>> header files to make it to compile.
>>
>> Im certainly no dev, but it appears to me that the building procedure and
>> toolchain for building on windows is in desperate need of some love and
>> attention.
>
> VirtualBox builds very well on Windows if you use VC++ 2010 without any
> modification. Therefore I wouldn't say there is a desperate need.

Let's rephrase this slightly.  I agree that it would be excellent if it
were easier to build VirtualBox on Windows.  It is just not "desparate"
enough that the core development team wants to spend limited resources
on improving this.  We would love to see patches coming from the
community (preferably clean enough that we can incorporate them without
having to spend a lot of useful development time studying and thinking
about them) to improve this.  And given that the people most likely to
need this probably have the development skills to do it it should be
realistic.  (Sorry to say that I can't actually provide much technical
guidance to anyone wanting to do that, as I develop almost exclusively
on Linux.  I am sure that other team members would be willing to answer
reasonable questions though.)

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher