[vbox-dev] Patch for vboxnetflt with Wireless Adapter - Linux kernel 3.18.0

Valery Ushakov uwe at stderr.spb.ru
Sun Apr 5 01:52:27 GMT 2015

Valerio Daelli <valerio.daelli at gmail.com> wrote:

> -if I use a wireless adapter with a VM, I can reach the internal IP of
>   the adapter, but I cannot reach the external world: I cannot reach
> the Access Point, the Internet,
>   or anything else in the outside world - including VMs on different
> physical hosts with wireless cards (same subnet of course).
>
> So I created this small patch. With this patch:
> -I can use the Ethernet Adapter
> -I can reach via the Wireless adapter the internal IPs of the adapter,
> as well as the
>   outside world.
>
> Basically I translate the MAC addresses of the VMs to the MAC address
> of the Wireless card,
> I keep a table of such translations to revert them when a packet comes in.
> (This is similar to NAT, except I work with both MAC addresses and IP
> addresses).

Strange.  Bridged driver already does all this (including DHCP
support, etc) for wireless interfaces (search for "shared" in
src/VBox/Devices/Network/SrvIntNetR0.cpp).  The code uses SIOCGIWNAME
to detect wireless interfaces for which shared mac mode is turned on.

Please, can you file a bug: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Bugtracker

-uwe