[vbox-dev] Monitor count limitations

Rūdolfs Bundulis rudolfs.bundulis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 13:35:41 GMT 2014

> BTW, the GUI uses the OS type to make its guesses and recommendations.
> you can exploit that, because the OS type is not used for much besides
> picking suitable defaults - so create the VM with the correct OS type,
> and later re-declare it to be Linux. That way the GUI doesn't try to be
> "helpful", and you should be able to reach the limits...

Well yeah I already got that, I mean even though the GUI is complaining
that the settings are invalid my application (which is much like
VBoxHeadless apart from the fact that it actually injects IFramebuffer
implementations in the IDisplay object) started fine, simply as I already
mentioned, when running more than 8 monitors, each of the IFramebuffer
objects was resized to 1400xsomething not 1920x1200, but that could be
because of the WDDM, Since now I know how to verify which driver is being
used I can verify if with XPDM I'm able to go above 8. I'll test that and
get back. Thanks for all the help, I really apprieciate it, hope the video
link gave some hint on what I'm trying to do.

Also, just to verify, does HGSMI play any role in how many buffers are
allocated?