[vbox-dev] Monitor count limitations

Rūdolfs Bundulis rudolfs.bundulis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 13:12:17 GMT 2014

> Look at the guest Computer/Properties/Device Manager/Display
> Adapters/VirtualBox Graphics Adapter/Driver/Driver Details
> XPDM files are VBoxVideo.sys and VBoxDisp.dll
>
> XPDM requires less guest VRAM, it mostly needs VRAM for the screen
> surface. With 256MB of VRAM it is able to support 24 or 25 monitors at
> 1920x1200x32 each.
> One screen needs ~9MB, which gives a hard limit 256/9 ~= 28 screens. But
> since some VRAM is needed for other purposes, it is better not to use
> the maximum.
> The performance will be probably a bit worse compared to the case when
> each guest screen has enough VRAM for a full resolution offscreen surface.
>
> I just tested a VBoxHeadless VM with 24 monitors at 1920x1200 and 256 MB
> of guest VRAM and it seems to work fine.

Thanks a lot, I'll try that out, I guess, since I checked the Direct3D
support in the guest additions I could be using WDDM, I'll verify it and if
so make a clean install and try XPDM. Since my current test wall is 5x5 25
would be great.  I simply got confused when I found the code i pasted here
in a post above in the Qt GUI that does a hard multiplication with 3 to
calculate the needed video memory.

Rudolfs