[vbox-dev] To handle natnetwork

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Wed Jul 23 09:56:59 GMT 2014

Hi Federica,

On Wednesday 23 July 2014 11:50:32 Federica Renzi wrote:
> I have a question about natnetwork.
> When a virtual machine is activated, its natnetwork processes start to run:
>
>    - /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxXPCOMIPCD
>
>    - /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSVC
>
>    - /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetDHCP
>
>    - /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetNAT
>

> Unfortunately, when that virtual machine is closed (and *no other vm which
> use the same natnetwork is currently active*) those processes will be
> closed too, causing connection fall.
> There is some way to keep alive connection using API even while virtual
> machine is closed?
>
> I don't know If I explain correctly the problem...so I try again using my
> personal example:
>
> I create a netcat connection between my VM and another machine. Then, for
> some reasons, I need to close in safemode the VM just for few seconds.
> However, closing the VM, netcat connection fall.
>

> How can I avoid that?

you are completely right, these services are automatically stopped when
the last VM who used this network terminates. I think

  VBoxManage natnetwork start --netname NAME

should start the network and prevent autostopping. Though I didn't test
it yet...

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher