[vbox-dev] Guest Additions are being downloaded over insecure HTTP

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Wed Aug 20 23:02:37 GMT 2014

Klaus Espenlaub said:

> George,
>
> can you make a clear statement what package you're using? None of the
> packages from virtualbox.org should ever execute this code path.

Hm, I'm using Debian testing (jessie) with the Debian virtualbox
package:
# apt-cache show virtualbox
Package: virtualbox
Version: 4.3.14-dfsg-1

While using a VM, I go to the "Devices" menu and then "Insert Guest
Additions CD image".

Then it tells me that "Could not find Virtualbox Guest Additions disk
image file. Do you wish to download this disk image from the Internet".

If I click "Download", I get:

"Are you sure you want to download the VirtualBox Guest Additions disk image file from http://dlc.sun.com.edgesuite.net/virtualbox/4.3.14/VBoxGuestAdditions_4.3.14.iso (size 65,943,552 bytes)?"

I have no idea what edgesuite.net is, but indeed I couldn't find a
reference in the vanilla Virtualbox codebase...

Is this Debian code?