[vbox-dev] Guest Additions are being downloaded over insecure HTTP

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Aug 11 10:06:56 GMT 2014

George,

can you make a clear statement what package you're using? None of the
packages from virtualbox.org should ever execute this code path.

As mentioned before, it is included in the host package and thus the
download will not be attempted. The download feature has been
implemented ages ago to simplify 3rd party packaging of the "OSE" variant.

We are already strongly pushing for HTTPS support on
download.virtualbox.org, but it's operated by a different team and
handles many more products/projects. All equipment the VirtualBox team
is operating can't handle multi-Terabyte/day volume. So yes, SSL would
be better but unfortunately isn't easily available.

Klaus