[vbox-dev] Question regarding channel callbacks between guest and host

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Fri Apr 25 06:56:17 GMT 2014

Hello Jaeyong,

On 25/04/14 02:30, Jaeyong Yoo wrote:
[...]
> Currently, I'm trying to figure out how guest and host interact with
> events (such as guest notifying host or host injecting interrupt to
> guest). I'm suspecting that VBox is also using VT-x techniques (such
> as IO port/MMIO emulation or virtual APIC interrupt injection). But,
> it is quite hard to point the source that actually do that. Could you
> give me a little heads up?
[...]
I'm not too familiar with that code either, though I have a basic
understanding of what it is doing of course.  I wonder though whether
you could give us a bit of a clue as to where you are trying to go.
 From the messages you have send I presume you are most interested in
the Windows guest code, and you don't really need a detailed
understanding of the core virtualisation code for that - understanding
the concepts around it would be more important in that case - but it
would still take you a lot of time to work through it which you might
prefer to spend on the code which really interests you.  I can still ask
one of our core virtualisation team members to give you a pointer of
course in case I am wrong there.

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher