[vbox-dev] Help configuring network with differente Host IPs

Gabriel Madeira - gmail gabriel.madeira1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 11:10:29 GMT 2014

I have read many reviews on intenet but I could not solve the problem that I
describe bellow. I need some help please

I have a notebook with ubuntu 12.04 virtual box running as guest in a
Windows 7 64bits host.

I use bridge connection under virtual box.

Everything was ok at home, that is, both guest and host sees each other and
guest could connect to internet.

My guest has a static IP and my host dhcp.

But when I moved to work where I have different gateway and had to put a
static ip to my host, it cannot access the guest anymore and guest has no
internet connection.

Host at home:

DNS: 192.168.1.1

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Ip: 192.168.1.xxxx (get dinamycally)

Guest:

Set as static ip.

The /etc/network/interfaces file:

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static

address 192.168.1.25

netmask: 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1

dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 192.168.1.1

Host at work:

Ip: 192.168.0.125

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.0.1

Preferred DNS: 192.168.0.1

Guest:

Set as static IP

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static

address 192.168.1.25

netmask: 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1

dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 192.168.1.1

I know that it has to be with host configuration, but how to solve this so I
can use virtual box both at home and at work ?? What is the correct way of
doing this ?

Thank you all in advanced !!