[vbox-dev] how to get the ova version?

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Sep 16 09:50:35 GMT 2013

Hi,

On 16.09.2013 07:36, Valery Portnyagin wrote:
> On 09/16/2013 04:58 AM, Fei Wang wrote:
>> I'm sorry, maybe my expression is not clearly.
>>
>> Example:
>> There is a OVA file.
>> User A import this OVA file on his PC, User B also import this OVA file on his PC.
>> Two UUID string can be got using command "VBxoManage list vms" on two PC separately.
>>
>> I found the two UUID is different, but the OVA file is the same one.
>> Is there an attribute to indicate two system is derived from the same OVA file ?
>>

> Hello, Fei,
> Those UUIDs are the newly created UUIDs. It acts like when a new VM is
> created. A new unique UUID is created in this case. Thus, your UUIDs
> can't be identical.

Exactly - if a OVF import would not create a new UUID then VirtualBox
would e.g. refuse to import the same OVF file twice. VirtualBox uses the
VM UUID to distinguish VMs (we don't require the VM name to be unique,
of couse it's a good idea to keep them unique for practical reasons)

Can you explain a little more why you need to be able to check the
identity, or how you/the used software checks for identity? There might
be possibilities, but without context it's impossible to guess what
might be interesting for you.