[vbox-dev] VB 4.3 and VBoxManage guestcontrol

Thomas Belian thomas.belian at fh-erfurt.de
Mon Oct 28 17:07:45 GMT 2013

>>> On 10/28/2013 at 09:32 AM, in message <526E2119.8090308 at oracle.com>,
Andreas
Löffler<andreas.loeffler at oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> thanks for the report. I already reproduced and fixed those bugs
> locally, and the next upcoming maintenance release should work as
> expected again.

Hello Andreas,

is there a connection with my problem? If I don't use
sessionobject.close() (or let's say: IGuessSession.close()) I have a
working python script, but I have the process of the VM, althought my VM
is already stopped. And if I use IGuessSession.close(), my VM crashes.

Regards,
Thomas

> On 25.10.2013 22:34, Jeff Macdonald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I use VBoxManage to automate VM creation/configuration/etc. My
script
> > used guestcontrol stat to see if a VM was finished booting:
> >
> > VBoxManage guestcontrol vmtest stat / --username=root
--password=root

> > normally this command gives me an error until the VM is fully
booted.
> > However, now it just hangs forever. The VM then becomes non
> > responsive.
> >
> > I found a work around for VM readyness using guestproperty wait:
> > guestproperty wait vmtest /VirtualBox/GuestInfo/OS/NoLoggedInUsers
> >
> > However, I have other guestcontrol commands that I use - execute
for
> > instance. These seem to work but when the VM is powered off, while
the
> > VM looks like it powered off, the process still exists and has to
be
> > killed manually. This is easily seen by doing the following:
> >
> > $ VBoxManage startvm testvm
> > $ VBoxManage guestcontrol testvm execute --wait-stdout
--username=root

--
Thomas Belián

Fachhochschule Erfurt