[vbox-dev] Virtualbox without VT-x crashes when running Android

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 14:24:21 GMT 2013

>I have another question. I searched in FAQ and saw someone reported that virtualbox could run faster when hardware VT-x was disabled. Not sure what guest did they run. If software virtualization is incomplete, how can software virtualization run faster than the hardware virtualization?

In my own experience, the typical desktop performance is about the
same. VT-x on or off.
Just some rare commands are not done correctly in software VT mode, so
some OSes do not like it. (IBM OS/2, Mac OS X, OpenBSD, ancient
versions of Linux such as Red Hat Linux 7, from year-2000, etc...)
The "incomplete" part is only about the commands it supports, but if
it works, it is super-fast.

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Knut St. Osmundsen
<knut.osmundsen at oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi Louis,
>
> could you provide us with steps how to reproduce this, please?
> Alternatively, a core dump might be helpful if it's difficult to reproduce
> without your ARM app.
>
> Kind Regards,
>  bird.
>
> On 10/23/2013 7:35 AM, Louis Luo wrote:
>
> Hi VBox developers,
>
> We are experiencing some crashes when we run Android X86 with VBox on a
> system without VT-x. The App we run contains ARM code, so we add libhoudini
> to the VM (just like what AndroidVM does). When we start the App, VBox
> crashes. If we turn on VT-x, it seems everything is just fine. Can anyone
> explain what happened here?
>
> Thanks,
> Louis

-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"