[vbox-dev] Host BSOD after r49150 and r49151

Vic Lee llyzs.vic at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 05:34:13 GMT 2013

Hi there,

Recently when I updated to latest SVN tree I found out that my host
(yes, the host, not guest) always BSOD whenever I try to start any VM
with more than 1 vCPU. This kind of BSOD is so weird, that there's no
bug check code or minidump whatsoever, only a bluescreen with some texts
saying things like "Hardware Malfunction" (google "BSOD hardware
malfunction" for images and you will see what I mean). So I can't tell
which source line exactly is causing it. I managed to confirm the following:

1. It happens only after r49150 and r49151 (which should be the same
changeset). If I stay at revision r49149 it's ok.
2. It happens only if I use more than 1 vCPU in the guest. Everything
seems to be fine if I change the VM to use 1 vCPU.
3. I tried to boot a windows 7 installation CD in a newly created VM,
but the host still BSOD (as long as condition 1 and 2 are met), just
before the setup ran into graphic mode. So it should have nothing to do
with guest OS.

Anyone is aware of this or trying to fix it?

Thanks,

Vic