[vbox-dev] [EXPERIMENTAL] VBox-Unattended Release 0.7.1 - Automated guest OS install

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Fri Oct 18 21:33:08 GMT 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Alexey Eromenko <al4321 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. I have called it VirtualBox_unattended-OSE. So yes, maybe I should
> avoid changing numbers. Just last number, if uneven, indicates an
> unstable build. Oracle publishes only even-ended releases. x.y.0,
> x.y.2, etc..
> So this is beneficial to have numbers also...

How aobut VirtualBox Unattended 4.1.28.1, 4.1.28.2, etc?

> 2. You missed the elephant in da room: I use "mtools" as dependency.
> Windows host lacks ability to manipulate floppy images. Create new
> 1.44 MB floppy image, format it with FAT, loop mount it, copy files to
> it, etc... If someone writes an equivalent software for Windows, it
> should be good. (Hint: Qemu has it.)

No that's not a problem.

You can create a new floppy image using imdisk or filedisk:

http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/#ImDisk

http://www.acc.umu.se/~bosse/

That's such a small part of what those utilities do that IMHO you should
take the code.

As for formatting with FAT, loop mounting, copy files, etc, VirtualBox
should already provide enough of an implementation for you. After all, you
can already mount floppy disks in VirtualBox, format the floppy and copy
files in there. Or am I missing something?

> 4. No source control. I believe that for one-man projects, I will just
> shoot in the foot if I add the overhead of a version control. IMO it
> should be used only for teams.

I'm afraid you are wrong.

Try git-svn to mirror the VBox svn repository and use a git branch to keep
your development synchronized with VBox. In fact, go to Assembla and create
your own free space, with tickets, a git repository, etc. You will never
look back.

http://offers.assembla.com/free-project-hosting/

http://offers.assembla.com/free-public-portfolios/

It is very hard to contribute to the development of VBox Unattended unless
there is a source repository where code is shared, pending tasks are
listed, assigned and progress is shown, etc