[vbox-dev] Troubleshooting a USB capture issue with multiple devices.

Ribhi Kamal rbhkamal at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 17:52:11 GMT 2013

Thanks Klaus,
My answers below.

It has been a while since I did this test. At that time, I was going
through the code of vboxsvc and it was starting to look like a locking
issue (for all operating systems). Since then a lot of the USB code/locking
seem to have been moved around or reworked. I was hoping that it solved the
problem.

Obviously I'll have to do everything all over again... that's what I get
for not keeping notes :(

-- Ribhi

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Klaus Espenlaub <
klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi Ribhi,
>
> On 14.10.2013 17:46, Ribhi Kamal wrote:
> > I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with vbox 4.2.16 (windows 7 host)
> > where virtualbox is unable to capture multiple devices when a virtual
> > machine is starting up.
> >
> > In my testing, I'm only trying to attached USB SC readers (I have about
> > 4 different vendors).
>
> I assume that the USB SC readers are USB 1.1 (or at most 2.0) devices.
> Correct?

Correct All SC readers are USB V1 or 2.

> Are you plugging any of them by chance into a "USB3 port" (in quotes, as
> this term is ambiguous, I mean a USB port connected to a USB3/xHCI
> controller)?

And my test environment does not have any USB 3.0 controllers nor devices.

> All USB ports are alike? Or is there a pattern?
>
> To the best of my ability, all the USB ports were active and all power
management functions are disabled in Windows. But I believe the devices
them self have some kind of power management.. not sure I can turn that
off. I will troubleshoot this further.