[vbox-dev] v box registering COM objects

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Nov 11 13:58:28 GMT 2013

Hi,
On 11.11.2013 14:23, Lucian Apetre wrote:
> Thank you for the hint,
> There is some documentation for the packing, if for eg i want to
> change some implementation in v box or add a new feature/ add a new dll?
There is not much documentation about packing as it's impossible to
predict what someone wants to change. The whole packing logic is in
src/VBox/Installer/win/Makefile.kmk, which produces some input files
(wxl/wxi, mostly for localization which isn't easy to hardcode) for the
standard command line tools (WiX) which produce msi files. After that
there's quite some msi magic and an exe wrapper to produce combined
32/64 bit packages and the like.

Generally, the starting point for the msi packaging is VirtualBox.wxs
and the various .wxi files. Find some similar file and see how it's
handled by these files...

Klaus