[vbox-dev] Virtualbox 4.3.2 - VM hosting processes crashes on VM shutdown

Andreas Löffler andreas.loeffler at oracle.com
Mon Nov 4 17:42:08 GMT 2013

Hi,

thanks for the report. I've reproduced the issue and investigating it.

Cheers,
Andreas

On 04.11.2013 14:26, Magnus Madsen wrote:

> Hi,
> I've discovered an error that occurs in the following situation:
>
> Host: Windows 7
> Guest: Any version of Windows.
>
> * Start up a VM.
> * Create an IGuestSession.
> * Shut down the VM using IConsole.powerDown() without first calling
> IGuestSession.Close().
>
> For me this crashes the VM hosting process, no matter if it is the
> standard one or VBoxHeadless.
> I can attach a log for a VM that crashes, but I don't see anything in it
> that looks wrong.
>
> This only happens if the VM is running a newer (4.3+) version of the
> Guest Additions.
>
> Obviously it is good practice to close the session, but I still believe
> that it is not an expected behavior that the hosting process crashes.
>
> Thank you for any assistance.
>
> Magnus Madsen

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Andreas Löffler          | VirtualBox Engineering
Senior Software Engineer | Oracle Virtualization

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Werkstrasse 24
D-71384 Weinstadt, Germany

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher

Green Oracle <http://www.oracle.com/commitment>
Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that
help protect the environment