[vbox-dev] virtio-net enhancement

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Mon May 6 10:04:08 GMT 2013

Hello all,

I spent quite some time now to find out where and what makes virtio-net
networking between guests such a lame duck currently in setups with both host
and guest being openSUSE with several kernel versions.
What I found out was you have to use kernel 3.9 to gain the performance one
would expect - but only for single cpu guests.
Multi-cpu guest setups are still quite bad. So I want to ask if someone can
implement virtio-net queues in a way that the number of queues adapts to the
number of cpus for the guest (or make it completely configurable). This would
allow cpu affinity for the queue and hopefully bring performance up to the
level single cpus have. It seems context switching lets it crawl currently.
Any supporters for this idea?

Stephan