[vbox-dev] Remote USB support

Vaibhav AGARWAL vaibhav.sr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 04:27:01 GMT 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM, Klaus Espenlaub
<klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com> wrote:
> On 31.01.2013 05:34, Vaibhav AGARWAL wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to use 'Remote USB feature' provided by VirtualBox.
>>
>> Following is my setup:
>> - VBox (Ubuntu 12.04) running on Windows7 PC
>> - Remote computer - Ubuntu 12.04. (VBox installed along with extension
>> pack)
>> I started rdesktop-vrdp session from Remote computer using following
>> command:
>> rdesktop-vrdp -r usb -u<username>  <ipaddr::3389>
>>
>> Now, I can't see USB devices attached to remote computer in VBox guest
>> session.
>

> Totally normal - remote USB devices can only be attached to a VM if they
> match a USB filter. They will not show up in the list of USB devices in the
> GUI.
>

>> Can anybody pls help/suggest right steps to do so....
>

> Check the VBox.log file if the devices are reported to the VM (lines
> starting with ++++ for USB devices which are plugged into the remote system,
> and ---- for USB devices which are removed).
>
> If that's working as expected all you need is the proper filter for remote
> USB devices.

I can't see any messages for USB device +++/--- in VBox.log file.
Also, looking at the virtualbox manual, it says:
"rdesktop-vrdp can access USB devices only through /proc/bus/usb"
And with latest kernel versions (Ubuntu12.04) /proc/bus/usb is not available.
Do you recommend to recompile kernel with usbfs support.
Or there is any other alternate from VirtualBox perspective?

>> --
>> Thanks,
>> ./va
>> find a reply :( Thus looking forward to dev community :)
>

> Not really a dev issue, so had to wait a little until I have a bit of spare
> time.
>
> Klaus

Sincere apologies for replying so late to your suggestions :(

--
Thanks,
./va