[vbox-dev] VirtualBox Extension Pack going GPL?

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Fri Jul 19 17:59:32 GMT 2013

Hello,

We developed our own RDP-like protocol for use with WPF. It's quite naïve
(take IFrameBuffer and send PNG's with the changed area, then paint it) but
it works fine for LANs, which is our use case. It's GPL and developed in
C#. We developed it for two reasons:

- The most important one: it was impossible to OEM license VirtualBox. We
contacted Sun, then Oracle, multiple times for years. In the end, our
product was ready to sell and still had no OEM licensing rates (just a "you
can distribute it for free for now")
- Also important: embedding the RDP ActiveX in WPF causes all sorts of
problems. We literally spent man-months debugging this and implementing all
kind of workarounds. Our own implementation was ready in less than a week
by one person.

Maybe KickStarting a fully opensource (BSD license, please) Guest Additions
would get traction.

What worries me is whether an initiative like this would definitely kill
VirtualBox. Oracle recently nixed every virtualization product it inherited
from Sun but VirtualBox.

Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org