[vbox-dev] Issue with 127 network

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Thu Jan 10 19:16:15 GMT 2013

On 10.01.2013 19:08, manvi singh wrote:
> Klaus - Thanks for the response. The assigned IP address would be
> something like 127.3.252.1. And i hadnt tweaked anything on the host or
> VB to get this working.

Please stay on the mailing list, otherwise I'll ignore further mails. I
can't offer personal consulting.

It doesn't make any sense to me. Each and every 127.0.0.0/8 address in a
properly set up TCP stack is equivalent to 127.0.0.1=localhost. Anything
else is non-standard, and while I can't rule out that VirtualBox might
have accidentally changed its behavior slightly in this area I can't
imagine how you ever got reliable "cross-host" behavior of 127.x.x.x.

This is actually not specific to VirtualBox at all, this is generic IP
standard definition.

Klaus