[vbox-dev] Issue with 127 network

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Thu Jan 10 12:10:35 GMT 2013

On 10.01.2013 07:44, manvi singh wrote:
> Hi - I have been using VB-3.0.14 since a long time. And my topology
> consists of multiple VMs communicating with each other. I have been
> using 127.* as the comminication interfaces (IP's) between the VMs. Now
> i want to move to the latest VB version. But with the latest version,
> the communication between the VMs dont happen. I suspect the the reason
> to be the 127 IP addresses are no more allowed to go out of the VM.

I can't follow. localnet (127.0.0.0/8) is always local to a particular
operating system, and VirtualBox can't change that. It was never able to
extend 127.0.0.0/8 to reach the host or any other VM.

Please explain what your exact setup was, maybe it gives clues how your
setup was actually working, because I don't believe that the model in
your head and reality really matched.

> I would like to keep my IP address intact and dont want to change.
> Please provide the below clarifications
> 1. How do i get past this limitation introduced in VB. Can i get the
> source code and make the changes to overcome this?
> 2. Since which version was this support taken away, so that i can use
> the previous versions atleast

There has been no behavior change in VirtualBox in this area, simply
because VirtualBox does not have control over the meaning of
127.0.0.0/8, neither on the host or in the VM. It's purely up to the OS.

Klaus