[vbox-dev] Virtualbox Error -- error code:0x80004005

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Feb 18 18:17:03 GMT 2013

On 16.02.2013 08:31, varun bhatnagar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am logging in as a normal user (i.e. not as root user) and I am tring
> to define the machines on virtualbox, they are getting defined. But,
> when I try to start them, an error is displayed saying:***"FAILED TO
> BIND TO LOCAL SOCKET"(error code:0x80004005).

Any more hints where that error is shown? What's your VM setup? Do the
VMs get far enough to produce VBox.log (in the Logs subdirector of the
VirtualBox VMs subdirectory)?

Since you mentioned that you're working both with a normal user and as
root: did you run VirtualBox using sudo? This usually leaves behind a
rather big permission mess, as it will make certain files to be owned by
root, which a regular user account can't clean up again.

Klaus