[vbox-dev] drv_usbproxy logs.....

Ramshankar ramshankar.venkataraman at oracle.com
Tue Aug 6 11:58:07 GMT 2013

On 08/05/2013 10:03 PM, Ribhi Kamal wrote:
> I'm having a brain fart here, can some please help me. I can't seem to
> get logging to work for the USB proxy kernel driver (drv_usbproxy).
> I'm trying to make it show in the debugger (debugview).
>
> I tried setting logging settings through SUPLoggerCtl and environment
> variables but no dice. I compiled vbox in debug mode with logging
> enabled and release, same result.
>
> Here is the environment variables that I tried (Windows 32bit):
> set VBOX_LOG="drv_usbproxy"
> set VBOX_LOG_DEST="logger"
>

> Sorry to waste your time with this, I know this question must have
> been asked many times.
>
> --
> -- Ribhi

Hm, I'm not sure what you mean by "debug mode with logging enabled and
release". Are you running a release build or a debug build? If it is a
debug build, you need not do anything special to enable ring-3 logging
while building it and for debug logging you need a debug build.

Also, I assume when you say "USB proxy kernel driver", you're referring
to the userland proxy device component (USBProxyDevice-win.cpp) which
isn't kernel code but an ioctl interface to it.

As for VBOX_LOG for that one you could try: set
VBOX_LOG="+drv_usbproxy.e.l.f"  and don't set VBOX_LOG_DEST. I don't
remember where "logger" ends up, but by default I think it should end up
in a debug log file in VirtualBox executable folder. Make sure there is
any existing VBoxSVC process hanging about when you rebuild things.

Regards,
Ram.