[vbox-dev] Cross-building VBox

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Fri Apr 26 20:11:36 GMT 2013

On 26/04/13 21:41, Michael Thayer wrote:
> On 26/04/13 20:16, Vladimir Filipović wrote:
>> Is there a straightforward way to build VBox on one platform,
>> targeting another? Specifically, I'm trying to build the Mac version
>> in a Linux environment.
>>
>> At a very superficial read, the ./configure script seems to make
>> assumptions that the build environment will also be the running
>> environment. (BUILD_PLATFORM=$OS; BUILD_TARGET=$OS)
>>
>> I've tried just manually changing BUILD_TARGET to "darwin" before
>> running kmk, but (unsurprisingly) that didn't work.
>
> Short answer: no, though we have done that sort of thing internally (not
> Mac on Linux though, and mainly Additions cross-builds).  Not much
> documentation available for it, especially as we use slightly different
> configuration scripts internally, but you might take a look at the page
> I put together on cross-building the Solaris Additions on Linux[1], at
> least for a couple of ideas.
[...]
> [1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/SolarisCrossCompiler

By the way, if you do get anywhere interesting with this (which doesn't
necessarily mean getting right to the end) feel free to write something
up and send it to this list.  A starting point might be assembling the
right cross-build tools, running the configure script for the build host
environment and then adjusting the output files for your tools.

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher