[vbox-dev] Cross-building VBox

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Fri Apr 26 19:41:36 GMT 2013

Hello Vladimir,

On 26/04/13 20:16, Vladimir Filipović wrote:
> Is there a straightforward way to build VBox on one platform,
> targeting another? Specifically, I'm trying to build the Mac version
> in a Linux environment.
>
> At a very superficial read, the ./configure script seems to make
> assumptions that the build environment will also be the running
> environment. (BUILD_PLATFORM=$OS; BUILD_TARGET=$OS)
>
> I've tried just manually changing BUILD_TARGET to "darwin" before
> running kmk, but (unsurprisingly) that didn't work.

Short answer: no, though we have done that sort of thing internally (not
Mac on Linux though, and mainly Additions cross-builds).  Not much
documentation available for it, especially as we use slightly different
configuration scripts internally, but you might take a look at the page
I put together on cross-building the Solaris Additions on Linux[1], at
least for a couple of ideas.

Regards,

Michael

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/SolarisCrossCompiler
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher