[vbox-dev] Unhappy with recent developments

Ramshankar ramshankar.venkataraman at oracle.com
Mon Nov 26 09:53:48 GMT 2012

On 11/25/2012 10:33 AM, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> I'm quite unhappy with recent developments in the VirtualBox world.
>
> Specifically:
> 1. Reduced freedom (moving BIOS from bcc to non-free Watcom compiler),
> which creates problems for the Debian GNU/Linux project
> 2. Non-inclusion of my Unattended Guest OS install patch (equivalent
> of VMware Easy Install, a killer feature, especially for newbies Linux
> users, whom are struggling to install Linux guest additions properly)
> https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=46798
> 3. Non-inclusion of my hide VM from taskbar patch (equivalent to
> Hyper-V GUI feature)
> https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=46616
>
> (If needed, I can update the patches for the latest VirtualBox codebase)

Apologies if these events may have caused you disappointment. However,
please note none of this is intentional. Frank has already given a very
good explanation as to why we switched from bcc to watcom.

As for non-inclusion of patches, I don't mean to sound repetitive or
brash, this is because we are (unfortunately) busy with bug fixes, and
designing and implementing other features that are more feasible and in
demand. We will get around to reviewing and including patches when one
of us is in the trough part of the busy curve.

In the mean time, feel free to update the patches to the latest
VirtualBox trunk, or follow whatever advise if someone in our team has
already reviewed your patches and provided feedback (I didn't look at
how much your patch was reviewed so far). Having the patch with as few
manual changes to apply before integration makes our lives easier.

Regards,
Ram.