[vbox-dev] SVN GAs Linux

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Tue May 29 11:40:13 GMT 2012

On 27.05.2012 03:07, Perry Halbert wrote:
> I was able to work around this by building GAs on a Debian SID guest.
>
> I also tried to revert
> //////https://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/41381/vbox but that didn't
> seem to help.
>
> Currently using a host with a newer GLIBC and building the GAs will not
> work on guests that use an older version.

That means your build env is incorrect - using newer glibc than what is
available on the target systems will cause breakage.

We avoid such issues by building our guest additions binaries on a VERY
old linux distro.

On Debian it's relatively straightforward to set up "vanilla" distros in
chroot environments, and use the dchroot utility.

Klaus