[vbox-dev] Error while starting Virtual Box: NS_ERROR_FACTORY_NOT_REGISTERED

Jaikumar G jaienigma at gmail.com
Fri May 11 22:39:19 GMT 2012

So I had to move the frontend outside the vbox installation directory along
with relevant .so files that it complained about when trying to run it.

When I tried to start it, I get the following error:

Code NS_ERROR_FACTORY_NOT_REGISTERED (0x80040154) - Class not registered
(extended info not available)
Most likely, the VirtualBox COM server is not running or failed to start.

This fails in the following line: createLocalObject(CLSID_VirtualBox).

Everything works fine when the frontend is run from the bin directory
inside the virtual box location (built from sources).

Any idea what I am missing ? A search on the internet and the archives
didn't bring up anything.

Thanks