[vbox-dev] Docs on how page fusion works?

Ramshankar ramshankar.venkataraman at oracle.com
Wed May 2 09:25:07 GMT 2012

On 05/ 2/12 08:11 AM, Howard Su wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 2:39 AM, Ramshankar
> <ramshankar.venkataraman at oracle.com
> <mailto:ramshankar.venkataraman at oracle.com>> wrote:
>
>     Our current page fusion logic involves knowledge from within the guest
>     as to what can be fused. Instead of pegging through the entire guest
>     memory using some-sort of daemon/service and maintaining hashes and
>     last-touch times of pages and comparing them, our guest additions
>     (currently page fusion implemented only for Windows guests) gives hints
>     about which pages are most likely candidates for fusion.
>
>     This saves a lot of time than sweeping the memory but it also means we
>     will not be squeezing out every last bit. We made this trade-off
>     decision because we felt this is a good approach for the fulfilling the
>     objective.
>
> I read a project http://code.google.com/p/uksm which is improving KSM's
> scan speed and result. It is called UKSM.

Definitely an interesting area of work.

> in a type of hardware, Interl Core 2 9300, KSM scans page at 260M/s.
> UKSM can hit 477MB/s - 923M/s, even 627- 2446MB/s in the pages which
> doesn't contain duplications. I think the speed is a big factor here to
> do the tradeoff. full memory scan can avoid the duplication of anony
> memory pages. will this change your decision about the tradeoff?

It's not such an easy decision, this sort of full scan highly depends on
the guest and its memory access patterns. Scanning for active candidates
will take up CPU time on the host. Either way there is computing
involved somewhere, it's not for free. Since these are typically large
servers with loads of memory and CPU power, we don't yet find a pressing
need to change our current logic. Also, squeezing out every last bit of
shared pages from running VMs only matters if the host's memory
consumption is very high in order to desperately make room for more VMs
(we don't return memory back to the host for other applications). In
such a case the performance is going to suffer anyway.

We're not saying our solution is the perfect one, there's room for
improvement. We could for instance take a hybrid approach where the
guest additions can provide information of RAM ranges after accounting
for well-known fusable pages based on the guest, but as of now, I'm not
aware of any immediate plans to revamp/rewrite our existing solution.