[vbox-dev] Docs on how page fusion works?

Howard Su howard0su at gmail.com
Wed May 2 06:11:10 GMT 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 2:39 AM, Ramshankar <
ramshankar.venkataraman at oracle.com> wrote:

> Our current page fusion logic involves knowledge from within the guest
> as to what can be fused. Instead of pegging through the entire guest
> memory using some-sort of daemon/service and maintaining hashes and
> last-touch times of pages and comparing them, our guest additions
> (currently page fusion implemented only for Windows guests) gives hints
> about which pages are most likely candidates for fusion.
>
> This saves a lot of time than sweeping the memory but it also means we
> will not be squeezing out every last bit. We made this trade-off
> decision because we felt this is a good approach for the fulfilling the
> objective.

I read a project http://code.google.com/p/uksm which is improving KSM's
scan speed and result. It is called UKSM.
in a type of hardware, Interl Core 2 9300, KSM scans page at 260M/s. UKSM
can hit 477MB/s - 923M/s, even 627- 2446MB/s in the pages which doesn't
contain duplications. I think the speed is a big factor here to do the
tradeoff. full memory scan can avoid the duplication of anony memory pages.
will this change your decision about the tradeoff?

-Howard