[vbox-dev] Loss of GUI when screen saver kicks in

Perry Halbert phalbert at cox.net
Mon Jun 4 20:58:27 GMT 2012

Latest SVN

Start a debian wheezy guest and wait for the screen saver to kick in
(blank screen) You can set it to 1 minute to test with.

Once it does the entire GUI disappears from the host.  Still shows
running in the Main Manager and show running says it is active.  Only
way to get it back is to send acpi shutdown which doesn't really work by
the way to shut down the guest.

DT manager in wheezy is gnome3 and in the GUI there is no way to
actually turn off the screen saver (which I find stupid).

I worked around this by creating a script in /etc/X11/Xsession.d
with the following "xset -dpms s off" sans quotes.  Now the screen blank
does not kill the GUI.

Figured you would want to know :)