[vbox-dev] USB in SVN not working

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Jun 4 18:00:19 GMT 2012

On 04.06.2012 19:36, Perry Halbert wrote:
> I'll double check it here in a bit, however i am not sure this issue is
> related to your changes. Part of me wants to think that this has been
> around for some time.
>
> Where are the locks stored ( i can look for them but if you know it
> would make my search easier) I know of /tmp/.V** but they don't seem to
> be there.

The locks I'm talking about are thread synchronization primitives, not
filesystem locks. So nothing which is visible outside VBoxSVC and the VM
process.

Klaus

> On 06/04/2012 12:28 PM, Klaus Espenlaub wrote:
>> On 04.06.2012 18:19, Perry Halbert wrote:
>>> Here is a strange issue.
>>>
>>> The USB device works great and I don't seem to have any issues with the
>>> exception to one. I can use the devices tab and remove the device and it
>>> returns to the host as expected, but if you use the guests release it
>>> gets lost in limbo. Not available to the guest or the host.
>> What's the state of the device, as reported by "VBoxManage list usbhost"?
>>
>> It's unlikely, but of course still possible that the changes have this
>> weird side effect...
>>
>>> Unplugging the device and inserting again returns the use of the device.
>>>
>>> Note: I do not use a filter. Always select the USB device from the
>>> devices tab.
>> On my system (with a filter for the USB device) there's a quirk with
>> logically detaching a USB device the first time, too, but I already
>> verified it's definitely unrelated to the changes - it immediately
>> re-grabs the device as for some reason linux assigns a new device name
>> to it...
>>
>> Klaus

Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Dr. Klaus Espenlaub | Snr. Manager Software Development Desktop
Virtualization
Phone: +49 7151 60405 205 <tel:+49715160405205>
Oracle VM VirtualBox

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher

Green Oracle <http://www.oracle.com/commitment> 	Oracle is committed to