[vbox-dev] PocketVM for VirtualBox - carries VMs on your phone/tablet

Dan Greenfield dan at fonleap.com
Fri Feb 24 19:16:54 GMT 2012

Dear VirtualBox developers!

Hi, I'm Dan - from a startup called Fonleap.

At Fonleap, we're big fans of VirtualBox, and we used it constantly throughout our PhDs. But we really wished we could easily take our VMs with us anywhere from one computer to another.

So we're very excited to announce PocketVM - which lets you carry your VirtualBox VMs on your phone or tablet (efficiently synced over Wi-Fi) - with configurable access to your files and documents directly though the mobile device as well (using shared folders). This means you can easily hop from one computer to the next with your VMs - and still access the files you need on your phone/tablet while on the go!

Check out our website: http://www.fonleap.com
And our demo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXlkCOsuHE8
Oracle have been kind enough to let us post about it on the VBox forums as well at https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=47771

We have released our first app on the Apple App Store (for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch) and on Android now as well. On the desktop host side, we have Mac support and a Debian-package for Linux (but the Ubuntu Unity GUI doesn't yet work right on latest Ubuntu). Windows support will be available shortly - stay tuned!

Features:
- Intelligent, efficient synchronization between your mobile device and computers (Wi-Fi throughput is your bottleneck)
- Access files/documents/etc... on the go, on your mobile device
- Compressed, De-duplicated storage of VMs, files, documents on your mobile device, as well as on your computer
(e.g. Windows XP with Office takes up only ~2GiB of flash storage, Ubuntu <1GiB, and add more guest VMs and they are de-duplicated across them!)

To get you started, we’ve prepared a help page for PocketVM at: http://www.fonleap.com/pocketvm/help/
or you can always contact us directly at: support at fonleap.com

It's early days for us, and we'll be working hard to improve PocketVM in many ways. If you have any feedback or suggestions, we would really love to hear from you at: feedback at fonleap.com

And we'd really appreciate it if you spread the word to others who might be interested! Thank you!