[vbox-dev] my patches for VirtualBox-4.2.0 on Fedora 17+

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Thu Dec 20 12:40:08 GMT 2012

Hello again,

On 08/12/12 15:18, Michael Thayer wrote:
> Sorry, I haven't forgotten this, but haven't had time to look into
> it yet due to other things I had to take care of.
[...]
> On 03/12/12 19:35, Sérgio Basto wrote:
[...]
>> I want unblundle $(VBOX_PATH_X11_XFREE_4_3)/, if not required have
>> a rule in kmk that doesn't try to build it, would be nice.
The intention was that the lines
   "SYSMODS := $(filter-out vboxvideo_drv%,$(SYSMODS))"
and
   "SYSMODS := $(filter-out vboxmouse_drv%,$(SYSMODS))"
in the src/VBox/Additions/x11/vbox[video|mouse]/Makefile.kmk should do
just this.  Do they not work as intended?

>>>I will take a look at this.
I took a brief look and it probably merits a deeper one (so still not
forgotten, but still waiting).  Your patch duplicates a few definitions
and things from Mesa headers inside the source file.  This makes me
wonder whether we could safely drop the dependency on those headers
altogether (system or bundled no matter).  Since I didn't write the code
though I will need to find the time to look at it properly.

They aren't used on recent Linux systems, but we also support building
on older ones.  Here a patch to simply remove them from Fedora's
distributed version of the source code might make sense if you really
can't live with it.  Unless we were to take the decision to publish a
bundle-sanitised second copy of the source (this is just a thought on my
part, so don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen yet).

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher