[vbox-dev] Debugging VirtualBox

Xabier Ugarte Pedrero xabilistas at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 07:12:50 GMT 2011

Hello,

I am trying to develop a Java application to debug VirtualBox, using the
xpcom interface. I have read the SDK reference, and I found the
specifications for the IMachineDebugger interface. This interface has
methods for checking and modifying register values, memory space, and
even for enabling or disabling single step execution, but I cannot find
any method to execute instructions in a single-step way (equivalent to
the 't' command in the debugger console).

I thought about opening the v.m. in debug mode and using the telnet
debugger on port 5000 (to code a gateway class to manage it from Java),
but I cannot connect to that port in any way.

The version I am using is VirtualBox 4.0.8 r71778.

My questions are:

Is debugging on port 5000 disabled?
Is there any way to execute instructions in single step mode from Java
xpcom or any other programming interface?

Thank you in advance.

--
Xabier Ugarte-Pedrero

S3Lab, DeustoTech - Computing, Universidad de Deusto
Avenida de las Universidades 24, 48007 Bilbao, Spain
Tel: +34 944 139 073 Ext: 2046
http://paginaspersonales.deusto.es/xabier.ugarte