[vbox-dev] Build issues with 4.0.12 and 4.1.2 on OSX Lion

François Revol revol at free.fr
Tue Sep 13 14:10:49 GMT 2011

Le 13/09/2011 16:05, Arend Dittmer a écrit :
> Thank you Darshan and Francois for getting back to me. For the build that
> fails the linker tries to link with libiconv in
> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk:
[...]
> If I manually run the command in the same directory and force linking with
> the macports libiconv it actually builds. The macports library is universal:

It's possible that it always finds the iconv headers from MacPorts
first regardless, then it fails linking with the SDK one due to
mismatched headers and lib.

> The issue is that libiconv in /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk* *does not have
> the _libiconv symbol (and the other symbols that are missing which are
> _libiconv_open and _libiconv_close) for 64-bit:

By experience, there are several "versions" of the iconv symbol names.
This is meant to make it possible to link with an external libiconv or
the one included with the libc on some platforms.
For ex. when defining LIBICONV_PLUG.

If it picked up the wrong headers then it will try to use wrong symbols.

François.