[vbox-dev] Haiku operating system guest additions.

Alexander von Gluck kallisti5 at unixzen.com
Tue Sep 6 17:54:07 GMT 2011

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 20:34:36 +0300, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Alexander von Gluck
> <kallisti5 at unixzen.com> wrote:
>
> There are components which could be added:
> * View of Guest IP addresses
> * GuestControl Execute (allows to execute guest commands from host,
> useful)
> * 3D acceleration: OpenGL (it could be harder than others)
>
> After GSOC is over, anyone of Haiku community could continue
> student's work ?

I think there are several developers that would be willing.  The
student also
expressed interest in long-term maintenance.

As several core developers use VirtualBox for testing, there is little
chance
of this code being abandoned.

>> I have put together two packages to make showing off the code to the
>> VirtualBox team
>> and the Haiku community easy...
>>
>>  http://pub.haikufire.com/haiku/optionalpackages/vboxadditions-4.1.15_dev-x86-gcc4-2011-08-23.zip
>>
>>  http://pub.haikufire.com/haiku/optionalpackages/vboxadditions-full-4.1.15_dev-x86-gcc4-2011-08-23.zip
>>

> In such cases it is recommended to have single code tree, but
> experimental functionality disabled by default (at build time or
> run-time) rather than 2 code trees.

This is an easy todo... the video driver does work and is stable, i
just
didn't want to slow down screen updates to get dynamic resizing.

> Well, yes, I think this work should be integrated into main VBox code
> tree (even if not built by default, just like FreeBSD which is not
> officially supported by Oracle).

That makes sense, we have the facilities to build and ship the module
on our end.

> The work should be MIT-licensed.

I'm pretty sure Mike is ok with this (however I will get confirmation
via this ML),
some sources / headers need some header license cleanup... Is there a
preferred format?

Thanks!
  -- Alex