[vbox-dev] Haiku operating system guest additions.

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 17:34:36 GMT 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Alexander von Gluck
<kallisti5 at unixzen.com> wrote:
> After a summer of hard work, our Google summer of code student completed his
> work on the VirtualBox guest additions for Haiku.

First of all CONGRATULATIONS on this nice community effort ! Really.
I'm happy to see any such effort which brings more hosts and/or guests support.

> Whats done:
>  * Mouse Integration -- works perfectly
>  * Shared folders -- works perfectly
>  * Shared clipboard -- working well
>  * VirtualBox video -- works, incomplete
>  * VirtualBox tray application

Very nice !

There are components which could be added:
* View of Guest IP addresses
* GuestControl Execute (allows to execute guest commands from host, useful)
* 3D acceleration: OpenGL (it could be harder than others)

After GSOC is over, anyone of Haiku community could continue student's work ?

> I have put together two packages to make showing off the code to the
> VirtualBox team
> and the Haiku community easy...
>  http://pub.haikufire.com/haiku/optionalpackages/vboxadditions-4.1.15_dev-x86-gcc4-2011-08-23.zip
>  http://pub.haikufire.com/haiku/optionalpackages/vboxadditions-full-4.1.15_dev-x86-gcc4-2011-08-23.zip

In such cases it is recommended to have single code tree, but
experimental functionality disabled by default (at build time or
run-time) rather than 2 code trees.

Well, yes, I think this work should be integrated into main VBox code
tree (even if not built by default, just like FreeBSD which is not
officially supported by Oracle).

The work should be MIT-licensed.

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"