[vbox-dev] No Good v4.1.x release to date. Please make more community BETAs

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Sun Oct 9 19:55:54 GMT 2011

On Sunday 09 October 2011 11:52:21 Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> Since the v4.1.0 release there were no good v4.1.x to date.
>
> v4.1.0 - stable and works for me, but lacks linked clones - lacks a
> killer feature, that should be here.
> v4.1.2 - has broken GuestControl (in GA) - critical bug.
> v4.1.4 - has broken PS/2 mouse - critical bug (+broken RHEL4 GA).
>
> So far - no good v4.1.x release in the end.
> Please take care about regressions, and if needed start another community
> BETA. As a one-time measure please at least do 4.1.6 public BETA, so I can
> ensure nothing got broken since v4.1.0 days.

I don't agree. I think the 4.1.4 release is a quite usable release
and it is IMO better than the last stable release of the 4.0 branch
(4.0.12).

There is always a probability for regressions, otherwise it wouldn't
be possible to implement enhancements and to fix bugs. The regression
with the RHEL4 kernel is annoying but this bug applies only to a
specific kernel. And I've just tested mouse grabbing with mouse
integration disabled -- this works fine here with a Linux host and
a Linux guest. Maybe this is a problem of the Windows version.

In general it's a very unbalanced view when concluding from these
bugs which might be very annoying for you but don't affect many other
users to a buggy release.

We will do Betas if possible but building a Beta requires additional
time and we cannot request Beta tests for every new release. There
is always a risk for regressions and there will be always a risk. We
try to keep the risk low but we cannot prevent every regression. We
just don't have enough resources.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert
Senior Manager Software Development Desktop Virtualization, VirtualBox