[vbox-dev] Host Only networking without VBoxNetFlt

Ribhi Kamal rbhkamal at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 16:09:05 GMT 2011

Hi all,
In VBox 4.0.12, I was able to user Host Only networking without installing
vboxnetflt on Windows. However, in the latest trunk, I have to install
VBoxNetFlt before hostonly networking starts working. Otherwise,
VirtualBox.exe spits out the following error when starting a virtual
machine:
 "Non-Existent host only networking interface, name <name-goes-here>...
(VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR)."

The error is generated when configNetwork (ConsoleIml2.cpp) calls NetLfList
(NetIf-win.cpp) and then VBoxNetCfgWinQueryINetCfg is called and returns an
error, which is expected since the flt. driver is not installed.

It was my understanding the vboxnetflt is only required when doing bridged
networking between the guest and the host network. Is this still the case?

Thanks,
--
-- Ribhi