[vbox-dev] guest application accessing host shared memory

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon May 2 18:02:31 GMT 2011

On 26.04.2011 11:53, Neeraj Singh wrote:
> Hi Guys, this is my first email to the mailing-list. I want your expert
> input on the following scenario:
> I have linux box running an application. The application provides an
> interface for other applications to communicate to it via a shared
> memory block. I have another windows application( it's to be windows
> application for reasons) that needs to talk to the application running
> on the linux box via shared memory. I was hoping to be able to run a
> virtual-box instance on the linux host and run windows application
> within that virtual machine . So, the problem now is for the application
> running in the guest os(windows) to be able to talk to the shared memory
> created by an application running on host os(linux).

That's rather difficult to achieve, especially as there is no way to
define a cross-VM shared memory region, leave alone one which can be
shared by some random application in the guest OS and some random
application on the host. There are subtle differences in how shared
memory behaves/is implemented, and it is uncertain how complicated it
would be to extend the "local" OS implementations behind their backs to
a very different scope.

While it sounds implementable, it surely is more complicated than your 9
line description might hint.

Klaus