[vbox-dev] Shared folders symlink kfree bug

Brian Campbell bacam at z273.org.uk
Sun Mar 27 22:26:22 GMT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 12:14:16PM +0100, Frank Mehnert wrote:
> On Monday 21 March 2011 00:38:30 Brian Campbell wrote:
> > although I'm not sure if it was the cause.  I intend to do some more
> > thorough testing shortly.

After a bit of testing, the only other bug I've come across is the
renaming one that Ronald noticed when he was adding support for Solaris:
renaming a dangling symlink or a symlink that points to a directory will
fail.  The cause is that it is renamed as if it was a regular file, but
rtPathPosixRename attempts to use stat to check that it's not a
directory.

A couple of ways to fix it would be to replace stat with lstat in
rtPathPosixRename, or to add a third case throughout to treat symlinks
differently from files and directories.  I don't know which would fit in
better with the way virtualbox is organised, though.

Cheers,
  Brian