[vbox-dev] IEvent not triggering on some events ... ?

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Fri Mar 25 13:11:20 GMT 2011

Hi Joe,

see comments inline

On 24.03.2011 20:23, Nikolay Igotti wrote:
> Hi Joseph,
>
> I think you just hit an issue (aka bug) in VirtualBox - certain events
> not triggered when they should or could be triggered.
> The only solution is to implement those.
>
> Klaus, what do you think about when shall events firing happen, do you
> have bit of time to look on that?
>
> Thanks,
> Nikolay
>

> 24.03.2011 17:45, Joseph Smith пишет:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Was wondering if anyone has had an opportunity to give this some
>> thought and maybe have some suggestions or ideas to offer.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Joe

IMediumRegistered (an IVirtualBox event) indeed is never triggered. Will
look into getting this fixed for 4.0.6. No promises.

IMediumChanged (an IConsole event) is triggered, but only when a VM is
running. You need to register with the Console object of the running VM,
not with the local Console object which is associated with every session...

I can see no problem with IRuntimeErrorEvent (also an IConsole event)
either, it should be fired for every runtime error encountered by a
running VM. Sure you're using the right Console object?

>> I do consistently receive the OnMachineRegistered,
>> OnMachineDataChanged, OnMachineStateChanged, OnGuestPropertyChanged,
>> OnEventSourceChanged, OnSessionStateChagned events and a few others.
>>
>> When I register the listner (EventSource::RegisterListener), I listen
>> for 'Any' events as described in the documentation and after handling
>> each event, I call EventSource::EventProcessed.
>>
>> Does ver 4.0.x fire IMedium events ? Any suggestions of what I might
>> be able to look for to determine what I might be doing incorrectly?

Half of them yes, half of them no.

>> Oh ... my application runs for weeks at a time without being restarted
>> and polls about every 3 seconds for events. There are never any events
>> that are not processed. Of the events I listed above, I continue to
>> receive those events when actions trigger them ... just not getting
>> many of the others listed in the enumerated VBoxEvent Type.

Again sounds like a description of the symptoms of not registering with
the Console events correctly. They do not show up for the VirtualBox
event source.

Klaus