[vbox-dev] Guest additions for Android

Christian Pötzsch christian.poetzsch at oracle.com
Thu Mar 24 15:04:09 GMT 2011

Hi Vladimir,

I guess you are using Android-x86 for that! What do you exactly mean by
using host cursor in it? Do you just want to use the mouse itself or do
you want seamlessly integration of the mouse into the guest?

Chris

On 03/24/11 15:56, Vladimir Chtchetkine wrote:
> Thank you Michael,
>
> I'm quite new to the Linux world, so forgive me if my questions are too
> naive, but nevertheless, let me reiterate what I understood:
>
> There is a vboxguest.ko module that can be (is?) installed on the guest
> system and then can be used as a gate to VBox framework.
> In order to access services, provided by vboxguest.ko I need to build
> VBoxGuestLib.
>
> So, my naive questions are:
>
> 1. Where do I get that vboxguest.ko module? Do I build it?
> 2. I was trying to build VBoxGuestLib (kmk -all while in
> VBox/Additions/common/VBoxGuestLib), but it doesn't seem to produce any
> meaningful output (no .o, not .a, and no .so files at all). So, how do I
> build that library? Shouls I just include these source files into my
> Makefile?
>
> Thank you again,
>
> Vladimir
>
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 7:41 AM, Michael Thayer
> <michael.thayer at oracle.com <mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello Vladmir,
>
>     On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 07:21 -0700, Vladimir Chtchetkine wrote:
>     > I'm running Android as a guest, and want to use host cursor in it
>     [Snip]
>     > I've read and re-read the doc, but I still can't get it how can I
>     > write my
>     > own (standalone) guest addition app that would be separate from the
>     > whole
>     > guest additions installation enchilada. Is it possible at all?
>     I'm afraid that mouse pointer integration is not very well separated
>     from other bits - we have a kernel module called vboxguest.ko which
>     provides a lot of unrelated services, including pointer integration.
>     However, since Android uses a Linux kernel that module should work there
>     with few or no changes.  You can then send ioctls from user space to get
>     the pointer position and set the pointer bitmap.  There is a userspace
>     library at
>
>     http://www.virtualbox.org/browser/trunk/src/VBox/Additions/common/VBoxGuestLib
>
>     (the R3 bits, not the R0 ones) which handles most of the protocol-y
>     stuff, so that you can just build and link that library and call the
>     high-level services it provides.  The library should be reasonably
>     portable, and works on Windows, OS/2 and various Unix-y guests, so it
>     should again be usable with few or no changes on Android.
>
>     Let me know if that helps.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Michael
>     --
>     ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
>     Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
>     71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com
>     <mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com>
>
>     Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 München
>     Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603
>
>     Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
>     Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
> [...]

Dr. Christian Pötzsch                             http://www.oracle.com/
Sitz der Gesellschaft: ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG,
Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande