[vbox-dev] problem when selecting new virtual drive location

Marius Cirsta mforce2 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 21:17:45 GMT 2011

  I have an issue with VirtualBox which has been bugging me for a few
days now. When I want to create a Virtual Disk there's a button (
m_pLocationSelector ) that opens a qt save file dialog (   in
UINewHDWzd.cpp )

QString selected = QFileDialog::getSaveFileName(this, tr("Select a
file for the new hard disk image file"),

folder.absoluteFilePath(strFileName), tr("Hard disk images (*.vdi)"));

For some reason this fails on my system. I'm using a less knows
distribution and something might be wrong with my setup but I don't
know what. The same QFileDialog::getSaveFileName() works when used
from a different application so the question would be why doesnt' the
same call work from VirtualBox ? What does it do differently , it must
be some context , environment I guess.

VirtualBox is compiled with the following arguments:  ./configure
--disable-pulse --enable-vde --build-debug --disable-docs
--disable-hardening

The error message is the one I get from KDE , qt attempting to use the
native KDE file dialog:

KGlobal::locale::Warning your global KLocale is being recreated with a
valid main component instead of a fake component, this usually means
you tried to call i18n related functions before your main component
was created. You should not do that since it most likely will not work
kdeinit4: Shutting down running client.
klauncher: Exiting on signal 15
klauncher(980) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have
started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
klauncher(984) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have
started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
klauncher(987) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have
started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
Qt CRITICAL: startkdeinitlock(958): couldn't create slave: "Cannot
talk to klauncher: Not connected to D-Bus server"
klauncher(990) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have
started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
klauncher(993) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have
started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
Qt CRITICAL: startkdeinitlock(958): couldn't create slave: "Cannot
talk to klauncher: Not connected to D-Bus server"
klauncher(996) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have
started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
klauncher(999) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have
started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
Qt CRITICAL: startkdeinitlock(958): couldn't create slave: "Cannot
talk to klauncher: Not connected to D-Bus server"
klauncher(1002) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have
started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
klauncher(1005) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have
started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
Qt CRITICAL: startkdeinitlock(958): couldn't create slave: "Cannot
talk to klauncher: Not connected to D-Bus server"
klauncher(1008) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have
started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
Qt CRITICAL: startkdeinitlock(958): Couldn't start knotify from
knotify4.desktop:  "KLauncher could not be reached via D-Bus. Error
when calling start_service_by_desktop_path:
Not connected to D-Bus server
"

This is probably related to Qt and KDE but I thought I'd ask here
first since it only happens with VirtualBox.

Thanks.