[vbox-dev] build dep package

Martin Simmons martin at lispworks.com
Fri Jun 24 18:45:17 GMT 2011

> Ubuntu 10.10 latest VBox from svn.
> /trunk/src/VBox/Installer/linux/debian rules binary
> Any idea how to get around this issue? Debian lenny will complete with
> the error but does bark about it.
> Looks like the issue is being generated by VBox as the control file has
> the exact information that dpkg-deb: is complaining about.
>
> dh_md5sums: Compatibility levels before 5 are deprecated.
> dh_builddeb --destdir /
> dh_builddeb: Compatibility levels before 5 are deprecated.
> dpkg-deb: parse error, in file 'debian/virtualbox-4.0/DEBIAN/control'
> near line 2 package 'virtualbox-4.0':
>   error in Version string '4.0.51_OSE-37581~Ubuntu~maverick': invalid
> character in version number
> dh_builddeb: dpkg-deb --build debian/virtualbox-4.0 / returned exit code 2
> make[1]: *** [binary] Error 9
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/trunk/src/VBox/Installer/linux'
> make: *** [binary] Error 2

I think the invalid character is the underscore in "_OSE", which is from the
version number generated by VBox.

Somehow Oracle build their packages without OSE, but the source code they
release builds with OSE.  There is a thread from a few days ago here, but it
hasn't been resolved yet:

http://vbox.innotek.de/pipermail/vbox-dev/2011-June/004251.html

__Martin