[vbox-dev] Ubuntu package for headless installation

François Revol revol at free.fr
Thu Jan 13 21:59:24 GMT 2011

Le 13 janv. 2011 à 21:05, Frank Mehnert a écrit :

> On Thursday 13 January 2011 20:42:33 Dominik Springer wrote:
>> For VirtualBox headless usage, libs for qt, x and sdl are not required.
>> Anyway latest Virtualbox package for Ubuntu has those in its dependency
>> list. Dependencies are handled very strict by the package management
>> system and I see no option to ignore dependencies during installation.
>> Would it be an option to have another package for headless setup with
>> different dependencies?

Are those strict dependencies or recommendations ?
There is an option on aptitude and other package manager to only install required dependencies and discard those that aren't necessary:
-R, --without-recommends

> Sure this would be an option but we don't intend to create another
> 30 Linux packages, sorry. You can still install the .run package which
> does not have any package dependencies.

Maybe it could be broken down into vbox-common, vbox-headless, vbox-gui or something ?
That is quite common practice on debian it seems.

François.