[vbox-dev] Build infrastructure for vbox 4.0 (for Windows host)

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Tue Jan 11 20:45:07 GMT 2011

On 11.01.2011 17:23, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 5:45 PM, S. Brandt<sbrandt at gmx.de>  wrote:
>> Am 10.01.2011 15:02, schrieb Harvinder Sawhney:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was building vbox (4.0.1_OSE)  from the main svn trunk and it refuses to
>>> build on Windows host. I followed the build instructions mentioned
>>> here (http://forum.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&p=155621
>>> <http://forum.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&p=155621>),
>>>   here (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Windows%20build%20instructions) and
>>> here (http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=27888)
>> See here ...
>> http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=37148
>> you are not the only one who doesn't manage ... but I don't know of anyone
>> outside Oracle who manages, either.
>>

> I know one person who can build VirtualBox on Windows host, and is not
> related to Oracle.
>
> Huihong Luo. (from VMlite)

If you manage to get EXACTLY the mentioned tools it should be a piece of
cake to get VirtualBox compiled. The biggest problem at the moment is
that the compiler version is quite dated, and getting them from
Microsoft is effectively impossible. It's on our todo list to make
things easier to build on Windows, preferrably with tools which can be
readily downloaded for free.